So I've been spending the past few weeks at CHOICE working on compiling all the information I can find on the different projects and programs they do in the different countries and writing up a short, one- to two-page summary on each. It's been a very good way for me to get to know the company. Originally, these summaries were just going to be used for in-office purposes, like as a reference for grant writing. However, in discussing it, we decided they could also be used for potential donors to see what CHOICE does.
Since the summaries were now going to be used for two different audiences, it was clear that they needed to be reformatted visually. After all, I was originally writing them believing that the intended audience would take the time to read every word and examine all the charts and figures. If these summaries were laid out on a table or included in a binder with, say, 50 of them, it seems unlikely that a potential donor would spend much longer than a few seconds looking at it. This meant that we needed a much quicker way to convey the information.
In discussing it with Kevin, the grant writer at CHOICE, we decided to include an eye-catching visual of some sort. The first one I did was for dry latrine systems in Mexico, so I found a diagram for one, translated it from Spanish to English, and included it on the first page. For other ones, I found a photograph since the CHOICE server has plenty of those on file.
Kevin really wanted me to change the titles for the documents as well, which were previously very straightforward (e.g., "Dry Latrines - Mexico"). We decided to first increase the font size so they stand out more and also rewrite them so that they were essentially a 10- or 15-word summary of the entire project. So "Dry Latrines - Mexico" was changed to "Dry Latrines in Mexico: An Environmentally Friendly, Sustainable Solution to Disposal of Human Waste." We figured this way, even if someone only spent a few seconds looking at it, they'd quickly be able to tell what the project was all about and ideally, it would grab their attention enough to read more or (even better) provide a sizable donation.
So I've included a few photos I took of the work here. Hopefully you can see that it's an improvement. We're all very happy with the work.